December 31, 2011

New Year's Excuses


We all have at least one New Year’s Resolution, and in the coming months we will fabricate a plethora of explanations as to why we have avoided fulfilling our goals.

But no matter what rationalization we come up with, children are truly the experts when it comes to fabricating excuses.  They’re creative, inventive, and sometimes even plausible. 

Here are some of our gems from years past:

Me: “Joyce, why do you keep telling me "No, I won't do ____?" 
Joyce: "I'm all out of yes's."

I come up the stairs to find a balloon stuck to the wall with used green chewing gum.  Why?  
Joyce: "I forgot to throw it in the trash."

Marie, while bouncing frantically on the couch to keep herself awake: "I'm too tired to put on my pajamas!"

Marie, when asked why she knocked loudly on our door early in the morning: "I didn't want to come in and wake you up."

Me: "Joyce, don't throw rocks." 
Five minutes later: "Joyce, I told you not to throw rocks!" 
Joyce: "it's not a rock, it's a mineral."

Maybe we could learn something from their creativity.

2 comments:

  1. My favorite is the "it's not a rock, it's a mineral."

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is a technicality, maybe she will be a lawyer

    ReplyDelete