June 08, 2011

Sisters

I am an only child married to an only child.  We both have zero experience with siblings.  As a child I remember observing my friends with siblings, and being rather puzzled.  To me, it was like observing a new and interesting insect community; it somehow worked, but I couldn’t even begin figure out the dynamics. 

15-20 years later I still don’t get it.  Best friends one minute, worst enemies the next.  One day playing happily for hours, the next they can hardly stand to be in the same house.  Children are refreshingly honest about how they feel about someone, and mine are no exception. 

Some of my favorite quotes:

J: "I want a baby sister."
Me: "What is M?"
J: "She's my little sister.  I'm tired of my little sister. I want a new one, a baby.  I want to name her E like me (her middle name). Can you please grow me one in your tummy?”
Me: "But J, even if you got a baby sister we'd still have to keep M." 
J (in a very disgusted tone): "Oh. Why?"


J is giving M an "art lesson," i.e. J telling her what to draw and how to draw it.  
J: “You hoo, M, PAY ATTENTION" 
M: "But J, I don't WANT to draw that!"

M (in a whiney pouting tone): "J, you just don't listen to me all weekend!" 
J (in an equally whiney exasperated tone): "But M, you just don't let me do whatever I want with you!"

J: sings a cartoon jingle about 10 times. 
M: "Stop!" 
Me: "J stop that. You're driving us all nuts." 
J: "But Mom, I WANT to drive my sister nuts!"

Yet they miss each other when they are off at their separate schools each day.  M runs towards J with arms outstretched when she steps off the bus.  Sometimes the gesture is reciprocated, sometimes not.  J recently spent time at home during track-out while M still had preschool, and constantly asked if it was time to pick up M yet. 

Sisters: best friends, worst enemies, can’t live with them, can’t live without them.

I still don’t get it. 

3 comments:

  1. I grew up with 2 sister and 1 brother. It was hell with 3 older kids terrorizing me one minute and mothering me the next. My daughters say funny things too, glad you are writing it down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't have any siblings either, until my mom remarried and her new husband had a daughter. Also an only child. We were both 13 and *complete* opposites. Pretty much hated (resented?) each other until we were both married with 2 kids. Now we finally feel like family and I wouldn't trade her for the world.

    I don't get it either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the way Joyce's mind works!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete