June 15, 2011

Introducing Marie


I was definitely a tomboy.  I spent my days running around outside climbing trees and hunting bugs.  My clothes had the rips and stains to prove it.  Each branch in my climbing tree was a horse, my favorite toy my Bug Bottle.  I had to be coerced into dress clothes, and promptly shed them like a snake whose skin was too tight.  I constantly had my nose in a book, and I lived in my imagination more often then reality.

I liked to play with the boys; the girls just weren’t that interesting to me.  They were too concerned with messing up their clothes to climb the trees, grossed out by the bugs, or just wanted to talk about “girl stuff” I found mind-numbingly boring.  Not that I didn’t have female friends, of course I did.  But, the majority of my friends were boys.  I just got along with them better, found them more interesting.  And it didn’t end when I got older: my first date was seeing the re-release of Star Wars.   

So, all that is to say I was definitely NOT a girly-girl.  I would wear jeans and sneakers most days, little to no makeup, and occasionally remember to brush my hair.   The idea of needing more then two pairs of dress shoes (summer and winter of course) was totally foreign to me. 

I’ve gotten better as I’ve grown up.  I no longer have to be coerced into pretty clothes; I actually kind of like getting all dressed up for something, or even no reason at all.  I paint my toenails a bright color, wear at least some makeup more often then not, and try to coordinate my earrings with what I’m wearing.  I occasionally drool over totally impractical shoes, and actually own dress shoes that aren’t black or white.   For the first time ever I have more shoes then my husband.  I spent the last year letting my hair grow out before finally deciding what to do with it.

For me, doing “girl stuff” takes work.  I’ve had to make a conscious effort, learn how to do some of it from scratch, sometimes even with a recipe.  Putting together an outfit is a major undertaking, accessorizing like trying to solve a complex equation.  In some ways I haven’t changed though.  I still always have my nose in a book. 

Then along came Marie.  Who had meltdowns when components of the outfit she pictured in her mind were not all clean.  She throws together combinations of colors and patterns that you think will look terrible, but she manages to make look like a perfectly planned ensemble.   She accessorizes.  Hair bows, hair bands, necklaces, bracelets, they all coordinate. 

She wants to buy endless pairs of shoes: sandals, Crocs, ballet flats, high boots, short boots, rain boots, high heels (which we nixed, much to her displeasure), and the grudgingly accepted pair of sneakers (which still must have sparkles of some sort).  Unfortunately for Marie, her feet are long and narrow, so only expensive shoes will fit.  I have the feeling she will have quite a shoe collection as an adult.  I’m just waiting for her to ask when she can wear makeup.

To Marie all the “girl stuff” comes naturally.  In fact, I have taken her shopping with me when I had to buy things for a fancy party.  She picked out the shoes and wrap, and I was complimented on both.  She even helps her Dad pick out his tie occasionally. 

I’ll end with Marie’s thoughts on the subject.  They pretty much say it all.

"Mommy, it's hard work being pretty like me." 

"Every day I have to look in the mirror to make sure my outfit is perfect."

And my favorite…

Marie, looking at a $900 clutch purse covered with Swarovski crystals: "Mommy, we have to buy it, it's the perfect size for me!"

1 comment:

  1. LOVE it! So glad to see your writing here, and get to hear more about you guys!

    ReplyDelete